Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

i am NOT my hair

 in the words of India.Arie....I am not my hair, I am not this skin, I am not your expectations no.   

June 26, 2010...that's the day that I did the big chop. So it's been almost 2 years since I've been natural now. I had my reasons for doin it. For the most part, I like it. It's more versatile than a relaxer in my book.

Lemme go back for a minute tho....and give you some history. When I was a little kid ( and I don't remember how old I was when this started), my mom would wash and press my hair every two weeks. Man I HATED that! That comb seemed like it was the hottest thing known to man. And the process seemed to take forever. My hair was very long too. I remember when I was about 10 or 11, I started begging my mom to let me get a relaxer. She kept saying no. That is until I found out about "Just for Me". They had what we call a "kiddie perm". I guess it's supposed to be milder than an "adult" perm. They even put young girls on the box. Finally, when I was almost 12 my mom gave in a let me get one. I had to be the happiest little girl on earth. This is when I started going to the beauty shop. Eventually, I started getting my hair cut. A monster was created. I fell in love with having short hair. At times I would let it grow out, but I always went back to the short hairdos.

Fast forward to about 2007. This is when I became in going natural. So I decided to "let my relaxer grow out" aka transitioning. So for about a year, I would get protective styles. Microbraids and sew-in weaves were my choice. Then I had this little afro that I wore out for about a week to let my hair breathe. Then I was gonna get another protective style.

Now this is where it gets tricky. I went to work and people thought I had lost all of my dam mind. Honey, I couldn't get to the beauty salon fast enough! I got a relaxer so quick it almost made my head spin. I guess I wasn't ready yet.

Sometime in 2009 I got curious about goin natural again. This time I was around a few people who were natural. They talked to me about it and gave me their insight on how people react to it.

So in 2010 after I had my oldest daughter, I just woke up one morning and got it all cut off. Now I hated it at first because I had almost no hair! I mean it took time for it to even become a TWA. All I had to do in the beginning was brush and go! But now I love it! And I wouldn't change it because of what anyone else thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment